Thursday, March 16, 2006

The things we miss...

Today I dropped off presentation boards for an open house at Mount Royal College.

I found myself feeling a bit alien with my dolly load of collapsable easils (easels?) among all the bright young things wandering the halls. I miss being a student. I miss the classes and homework, I miss living life in neat little four month blocks.

I think it's a little sad to miss university - it was supposed to be preparing me for something more, something beyond itself - it claimed to be foreward looking. But I suppose nobody studying abstact math, philosophy, or creative writing can really be thought of as looking ahead.

I think it's a lot sad to miss university. We're just as free now as we ever were. And if we went back to school now we'd be that sad mature student in the corner - the one nobody really wants to talk to. Hey! I guess it wouldn't be that different!

2 comments:

Meg said...

I'd talk to you. As long as you didn't bring a rolling backpack to school.

Lady Rose said...

It's not sad to miss univeristy. It's the most slack-ass time in life! How can you not miss that? Boy do I ever understand now what my mom was talking about back then.

Real-life sucks. And! to add insult to injury the only mail you get as an adult is bills. You were so right mom.