Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dinner with the sister

Tonight we had my sister over for dinner - a rare occasion since she lives in Vancouver. We barbecued on a plank and talked about everything from how great (?) the show sex in the city was to our satisfaction with our lives and the meaning of life. It was good to have a philosophical conversation for a change, and it was good to have a friendly outsider to talk to. One of my conclusions was that I don't have such conversations with my regular friend-set because it risks too many ripples in the water - we're happier just being happy. It was also good to recognize that my sister, while staying on the proper side of the Christian/non-Christian fence from my parents point of view, is practically as radical as I am on a wide array of moral and social issues. I may have railed now and again, but maybe I like the distance that my "black sheep" status grants me. I suspect I'd rather not have regular spiritual chats with my parents and extended family - a mine field my sister more frequently walks because they assume she's on their side.

No comments: